Monday, October 26, 2009

Happy Birthday Sweet Grandma



On October 26, 1906, Eula Marie Gay was born... she had four children that she loved dearly. She was one of the hardest working woman that I ever met. She had very little, but managed to raise her children on her own. I learned alot from her...and at the time I did not realize I was learning.... how to make homemade noodles..fry the best chicken... iron my clothes... plant a garden..and harvest it...so many things that are a big part of my life now... all because grandma took time out of her already tired day to teach me.... I miss her everyday... I'm reminded of her when I use her big spoon to stir my stew or chilli... or when I wash my clothes down stairs and see her ironing board... Thanks grandma for all the lessons...one of my favorite sayings that you used to say was... got to get the canning done so we don't starve to death this winter...LOL...Happy Birthday Grandma I love you ... miss you

6 comments:

MyOhMy said...

You're right, she remains to be a huge part of our lives thru the lessons she taught us. All of them practical, all of them useful... I miss her always, but especially on this date. We will make sure that her memory and lessons live on through our kids, grandkids, neices and nephews... passing on her wisdom is the best way to honor such a wonderful lady. Thank you for posting this and I just love that picture :)

Lindsey's Mom said...

Miss her too....there is a huge benefit to having Grandma just a walking path away!!!! The teaching moments happened daily and because of her influence in our lives, we carry her with us for a lifetime. She would have been 103!!! Thankful she doesn't have to suffer with that old body any more. Thanks for the beautiful memories L - Love you.

phyllis said...

Is that levi that gram D is holding?---
My mother was unique is a lot of ways--you could`nt outwork her--could`nt pick more berries than she--could`nt fry better chicken-- and most of us could`nt live on what she made scrubbing floors for most of her life and managing to still save a portion of it--for a raining day!

Sue said...

I have two old measuring cups from Grandma. I make sure I use one of them in every recipe so I'm sure it will turn out just right. She was so sweet, I wish I knew her a little better.
Happy Birthday Grandma, I love you!

Sue Ann

Lynette said...

Yes that's Levi... only a few months old... I think this was the five generation picture we took at her house

COURTNEY said...

What a nice post! Nice to see pictures and stories of Grandma D.